Flexible dieting is just that, a flexible approach to dieting that is about focusing less on food name, and more so on food composition i.e. what foods are made up of in terms of the macronutrients, micronutrients and fiber. It aims to provide a practical solution to dieting which is maintainable in the long term such that it will provide sustained results.

Flexible dieting simply involves daily calorie and macro-nutrient targets whereby you eat foods that allow you to reach those daily targets. It is merely a system of quantification that allows you to measure your intake according to your desired goal.

Think of it this way, if you were to build a house, would you do so without using a tape measure? No, because it would be a very inefficient and inaccurate way to build a house, so why would you try and build your dream body without tracking your macros?

Macro-nutrient tracking is like the tape measure for building your body, it allows you to measure and track everything that goes in, in order to build your body in the most efficient and effective way. It eliminates all the guesswork of conventional dieting and ensures you are heading in the right direction.

Flexible Dieting & Health

Flexible dieting places a significant priority on micronutrient intake and fibre consumption as these are both extremely important for maintaining your health.

Contrary to popular belief, flexible dieting does not involve daily, all out assaults on endless amounts of junk food, in fact, it is quite the opposite. The diet as a whole is far more influential in determining health than individual foods that make up the diet.

All foods contribute differently to overall health and they can be placed on a continuum according to their contribution to overall health.

The 80/20 Rule

You may have seen or heard of the 80/20 rule from some well known flexible dieters. Basically what this means is that when utilizing a flexible dieting approach, around 80% of your daily intake should come from nutrient dense, whole and minimally processed foods whilst the remaining 20% of your daily intake can then come from any other food sources of your choosing that allow you to reach your macro-nutrient targets for the day.

Basically, this ensures that you are getting the vital micro-nutrients and fiber that are required for health and not filling your daily macros with micro-nutrient and fiber void foods.